Monday, July 21, 2008

Omega in Oranjekerk

When was it? Hmmm. Yeah, the day Holland played with Russia.

It was saturday, and there was a nice (and free) classic music concert in Oranjekerk behind Sarphatipark. Merel (blackbird in Dutch) from third floor (mass spectrometry group) was also singing in the choire.

Oranjekerk is not a church anymore; it is used for different activities I guess.

However, after the concert, "It is probably still being used as church sometimes" said Maikel to me.

"How did you understand it?" I was curious and a bit amazed. He pointed to the speech desk: "there is an omega sign there." I did not get it, and asked why..

He told me that omega represents eternity or the afterlife since it is the last letter of the greek alphabet. That's why it is used as a symbol in church.

interesting...

I have just checked the wikipedia entry and found the following sentences:
In the New Testament book of Revelation, God is declared to be the "alpha and omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last".

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails